Friday, March 27, 2009

Starting something new!  I must admit to feelings of trepidation re publishing thoughts from time to time on subjects related to choral music.  Having monitored sites of some good friends and acquaintances over the past few months, though, I am convinced that blogging interactions amongst choral musicians provide yet another opportunity for learning about this wondrous musical genre in all its splendid and inspiring variety.  

A few introductory comments about myself are in order, I suppose: I am a professor of choral music at a large Canadian university, University of Alberta, where I co-supervise a well established graduate program in choral conducting, and conduct a chamber choir, the University of Alberta Madrigal Singers, that has had the good fortune to engage in a wide range of regional, national and international activities over the nearly three decades I have led them.  I also direct a larger symphonic choir in the city of Edmonton, the Richard Eaton Singers (named after one of this city's musical pioneers who founded the choir in 1951) which performs regularly with orchestral ensembles here, including the Edmonton Symphony and Alberta Baroque Ensemble, and also hosts its own concerts each season.

Having recently completed a five year term as chair of my Department, I am on leave this year, so while I have not been in regular rehearsals with my ensembles or teaching classes, I have enjoyed the large chunks of free time to read, study and listen to a great amount of interesting choral (and other!) music.  The World Symposium on Choral Music in Copenhagen last summer, and more recently the ACDA National Convention in Oklahoma City, have been rich sources for gathering new music and ideas about music, hearing amazing ensembles from all over the world, and inspiration to get back to it when the time comes!  

5 comments:

  1. Why thank you - and from a cursory look at your blog, I know I will want to explore it more thoroughly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Len, welcome! I know you'll have lots to add to the choral blogging world.

    Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to blogging!

    I see that John is going to feature you on ChoralNet in a few days . . . but I'm thrilled to have another choral musician join the online discussion!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Philip, looking forward to it, learning as I go.

    ReplyDelete