Tuesday, April 21, 2009

The adrenal effect of B Minor Mass

Sitting in a hotel room in Calgary this morning, after only 2-3 hours of fitful sleep, I am pondering the extraordinary adrenalin kick my body granted me after a 3 hour rehearsal on B Minor Mass with chorus and orchestra.  I have been on leave this year, and decided to also take a leave from my symphony chorus, so I've had much less conducting to do this year.  When the Calgary Bach Society came calling about this gig over a year ago, I eagerly accepted, thinking, "Who could be so lucky as to be asked to guest conduct this Everest of musical creations?"  I've had a couple of Saturday workshop rehearsals with the chorus this year, but this is the week to put it all together, and last night was our first joint rehearsal.  The orchestra is free lance, but made up of committed players, with strings using baroque bows, and all playing very well.  The chorus has done very well in recent weeks, and should be ready by Sunday's performance.  As for the conductor, I realize once again this morning how fortunate the conducting community is in being able to fit the process of making music on glorious rep such as this work into our fitness regimen!  Other mortals should be so lucky.

1 comment:

  1. it is a workout! Maybe that's why conductors live so long.

    ReplyDelete