Friday, September 3, 2010

Injury

This week I am reminded of the fragility of the body and its linkages - I have been indulging in as many golf games I could fit in before the Edmonton climate says "no more until April" (that could be in a little over a month). This summer has brought me some of the most incredible golf experiences - a long-planned trip to Bonnie Scotland for 12 of us who find a week every summer to escape the normality of our lives for a little excitement on the links. Really the only missing ingredient was the quality of my golf game, which has been abysmal of late. But the courses - St. Andrews (yes, the Old Course), Muirfield, Carnoustie, Kingsbarns, Old Berwick, Gullane - all in one glorious week. I have not walked so many holes in so short a time in my life, and I felt invigorated and ready for more punishment. So when I got home, I took a few days away from the game, then back at it at my home course, Coloniale in Beaumont, which has not been in this good condition in years.

Yes, and finally, the last couple of rounds something approaching a miracle happened - I actually could hit the ball straight and longer than I had in months. It is a fickle business - little tweaks can have such momentous results. I suppose it is a little like music in that respect, and that is why I love it so much, despite it's multitude of frustrations.

Sunday last I played one of the best rounds of the year for me, came home extremely pleased with myself, all the while noting a faint twinge of pain in my right wrist. Ah yes, the wrist I have had periodic troubles with over the past four years - and after several attempts at diagnosis (lunate and capitate bones seemed out of position), x-rays, an MRI, and finally a C-Scan, it appeared to be nothing more than arthritis, a condition I have noted with some alarm as my fingers have steadily been curling on me. The twinge increased exponentially over night, and by morning I was swollen and in severe pain.

I recalled the first time this had happened, also after a round of golf, and it had taken a full three weeks for me to recover the use of my wrist without pain. For three days I have been putting my left hand to extraordinary use for all the normal things we do with two, and I came to appreciate once again how burdensome such situations can be. And the pain...at times unbearable, despite the regular use of Tylenol 3. Well, the swelling is down now, and I can actually type with both hands today. I was feeling quite sorry for myself, as this week I had set aside to prepare a series of lecture notes for a course I have not taught in 8 years. Needless to say, I have some catching up to do.

On Tuesday evening, I met my symphony chorus for the first rehearsal of the new season. It was an interesting evening trying to make my left hand do two jobs, keep time as well as show some expressivity. Signing some documents at break turned out to be a painful (for me) and amusing (for my choir members) experience.

Oh, and I have a golf tee time on Sunday - our usual foursome. I think I may give it a try!

2 comments:

  1. Take it easy out there on Sunday! I know full well what a painful wrist feels like - but only just recently.

    I was able to play at Wolf Creed on Friday, but it took 12 holes before the wrist warmed up to me again. Feel OK today though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is that a new course? Hadn't heard of "Wolf Creed" before :). The Sunday round actually went pretty well - back nine of 41, and birdied 15. Bill, Ger and Bernie were suitably impressed. Thanks to our project, the temptation to play the club champs this weekend has been removed!

    ReplyDelete